The International Association of Classification Societies (IACS) is pleased to announce the release of the 2017 edition of its IACS Blue Book. The latest release of the Blue Book package continues to enhance IACS technical support to the shipping industry through our work and investment in technology, innovation, research and development both at the classification and statutory levels.
The Blue Book is an electronic library of technical resolutions adopted by IACS as a result of its technical work and provides an example of how the aims and objectives of the Association are delivered for the benefit of international shipping. It contains
- IACS “Unified Requirements” which IACS members incorporate into their Rules
- “Unified Interpretations” of IMO convention requirements which IACS Members apply uniformly when acting on behalf of authorizing flag Administrations, unless instructed otherwise
- “Procedural Requirements” governing practices among IACS Members
- “IACS Charter” and “IACS Procedures” which define the purpose, aim and working procedures of the Association
- “Recommendations” relating to adopted resolutions that are not necessarily matters of Class but which IACS considers would be helpful to offer some advice to the marine industry
- “UR – Unified Requirements Status” advising on implementation status
- HF & TB for UR, UI, PR & Rec. containing the History and Technical Background files for the Unified Requirements, Unified Interpretations, Procedural Requirements and Recommendations
- “Quality Documents” containing QSCS (IACS’ Quality System Certification Scheme) description, Quality Management System Requirements, Audit Requirements, ACB (Accredited Certification Bodies) requirements and other quality procedures
Due to the large file size the ZIP file will take some time to download depending on your internet connection speed. Below is a table to give you some idea how long this may take, these times can obviously vary due to fluctuations in connections.
|File Size||Transfer Speed||Time to download|
|647 Mb||1.544 Mbps T1/DS1||59 mins|
|10 Mbps Thin Ethernet||9 mins|
|44 Mbps T3/DS3||2 mins|
|100 Mbps Fast Ethernet||54 secs|
Please note, once the file is downloaded to desktop or laptop, there is no need for internet connection as all files will reside on the local disk and there will not be a need for downloading any further files until the next revision (circa a year’s time).
The latest version of the Blue Book is available for downloading from the IACS website at:
by clicking below image and choosing to save it (647Mb)