(http://www.MaritimeCyprus.com) The IMO issued a notice stating that the theme this year for World Maritime Day is “IMO 70: Our Heritage – Better Shipping for a Better Future” commemorating the 70th anniversary of the Convention establishing the organization. In March, a ceremony will be held at IMO Headquarters to mark the date the IMO Convention was adopted. The annual Day of the Seafarer will be on 25 June.This provides the opportunity to take stock and look back, but also to look forward, addressing current and future challenges for maritime transport to maintain a continued and strengthened contribution towards sustainable growth for all.
A series of activities and events are planned to mark the 70 years since the Convention establishing IMO was adopted in March 1948. They will also look ahead, to the future.
Events will include (further details will be made available in due course):
- March 2018 – a ceremony to mark the date when the IMO Convention was adopted will be held at IMO Headquarters.
- 15 May 2018 – a high level forum will be held at IMO Headquarters to discuss the Organization’s history, its future challenges and role within the global trade in a changing world.
- 25 June 2018 – the annual Day of the Seafarer.
- Late September 2018 – World Maritime Day celebrated at IMO Headquarters and around the world.
- During 2018 – in conjunction with the International Congress of Maritime Museums a travelling exhibition will tour participating maritime museums.
- During 2018 – a photography contest will be held.
IMO Member Governments and international organizations are encouraged to organize events throughout the year to celebrate #IMO70 .
Parallel event 2018