The Cyprus Marine and Maritime Institute (CMMI), invites applications for the recruitment by CMMI of qualified applicants for the position of Data Scientist, situated in Cyprus. The employment period is a fixed-term one-year contract, with the possibility of renewal.
The Cyprus Marine and Maritime Institute:
The Cyprus Marine and Maritime Institute (CMMI), is an innovative, non-profit, research, innovation and technology development centre established in Cyprus, supported by EU funds via the Teaming program, as well as the Government of Cyprus and established industry stakeholders. The CMMI pulls together expertise from local universities and industry, and international partners. The goals of the CMMI are to develop knowledge and utilise new approaches and technologies to solve challenges facing the marine environment and the wider maritime and offshore sectors. Furthermore, the CMMI has a particular focus on the needs of Cyprus and the eastern Mediterranean. Areas of interest include, but are not restricted to, climate change, decarbonisation, offshore engineering, improved efficiencies, maritime safety, automation, autonomy and robotics, maritime electrification, marine observations, offshore renewable energy and natural gas, aquaculture, the preservation of marine heritage, and combatting plastics and other pollutants.
We seek to recruit a cohort of visionary researchers with the desire and ability to undertake a range of multidisciplinary projects that will support research work at the CMMI. At this early developmental stage of the CMMI, there is great incentive to collaborate towards forging the direction of the Institute and to capitalise on partnerships with local and international CMMI partners. The CMMI seeks to establish the local knowledge and capability baselines on the regional environment and maritime operations and develop pathways for future research and innovation. We seek early career researchers with strong digital and communicational skills who will be excited to explore a diverse range of topics to identify needs and data gaps, and synthesise known information to refine a research strategy for the CMMI.
Successful candidates will contribute to CMMI projects, assist in the preparation of reports and deliverables, contribute to research proposals, author scientific reports and conference and journal publications, and develop data analysis methods and software. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate skills relevant to the following topics:
- Computer programming skills (Python, Matlab)
- Data science and machine learning methodologies
- Detection, classification, estimation, and predictive analysis methods
- An MSc or PhD in relevant discipline (computer science, electrical or computer engineering)
- Previous relevant academic or industrial experience will be considered an advantage
- High impact publication on relevant topics will be considered an advantage
- Participation in successful research grant applications will be considered an advantage
- Strong analytical and integrative thinking
- Strong organisational and teamwork skills
- Strong written, oral, graphical, and digital presentation skills
- Ability to interact with governmental, industrial, and other external organisations to build productive relationships
- Ability to work under pressure, delegate and plan personal workload effectively
- Ability to solve problems creatively.
An attractive remuneration package will be offered to the successful candidate, depending on qualifications and experience.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are requested provide the following by email to firstname.lastname@example.org (Position Reference DS2020), no later than the 14th of December 2020.
- Cover letter that specifies the reasons for pursuing a research career at CMMI, the employment availability date, and part-time or full-time availability.
- Short description of academic, research, or industrial experience (1 page maximum).
- A detailed curriculum vitae.
- Copies of degree certificates.
- Contact details of at least two referees that can provide reference letters.
Only applications that fulfill the above criteria will be considered. All applications will be treated in strict confidence.
For further information please contact us at email@example.com