The Cyprus Marine and Maritime Institute (CMMI) is seeking to recruit a qualified applicant for the position of the Accountant and Financial Reporting Assistant, situated in Larnaca.
The Cyprus Marine and Maritime Institute is a Centre of Excellence for marine and maritime research, innovation and technology development and has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation program and matching funding from the Government of the Republic of Cyprus.
The successful applicant will be working closely with the Financial Controller and should be a qualified accountant with relevant, to the below listed duties, experience. Excellent communication skills in English and Greek is a must.
More specifically, the successful candidate will be expected to be:
- Updating accounting records for the Institute daily and substantiating the financial transactions by auditing documents
- Handling of the invoicing and collection process of the Institute
- Calculating of employees Payroll including Social Insurance, G.H.S, Cohesion Fund, Industrial Training and Redundance Fund
- Collecting TD59 from employees and updating payroll calculation accordingly
- Calculating VAT, SDC and other taxes as and when required
- Filing tax returns and liaising with the tax authorities
- Preparing cash flow budgets and financial plans
- Assisting with the preparation of pre audit files (statutory and project audits)
- Performing various financial analyses as required by the management
- Supporting to the Financial Controller with the
- Preparation of Management accounts as and when required
- Liaison and communication with the external auditors for the annual year-end close.
- Budget monitoring
- Financial reporting for various projects
- Maintaining accounting controls by preparing and recommending policies and procedures
- Updating fixed asset register and reconciling it to the accounting records
- Maintaining financial security by following internal controls
- Preparing payments by verifying required approval and documentation and requesting disbursements
- Complying with financial legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation, enforcing adherence to requirements, and advising management on needed actions
- University degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or in a related field
- Member of a recognised accounting body (e.g., ACCA, ACA, CPA)
- 1-2 years of post-qualification relevant experience
- Exceptional communication skills in Greek and English, both written and verbal
- Advanced excel skills is a must
- Strong IT literacy, including PowerPoint and Word
- Knowledge of accounting software will be considered a strong advantage
- Experience with EU and Local funded projects will be considered a strong advantage
- Organisation skills and ability to effectively manage multiple tasks and set priorities
- Analytical thinking and attention to detail and problem-solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, high business ethics and confidentiality
- Energetic, positive and team player
Ethics and values – Acts consistently in accordance with clear ethics and values. Refuses to compromise ethical standards despite external pressure to do so and maintains confidentiality when appropriate. Honours commitments made to others. Considers community values when making business decisions and works toward making the organisation more environmentally responsible.
Resilience – Remains focused, productive, calm and objective, under pressure. Accepts criticisms without becoming defensive and maintains an optimistic outlook in the face of challenges. Moves on quickly from setbacks or criticism. Adapts rapidly to changing circumstances and demonstrates acceptance of ambiguity in the work environment.
Collaboration – Treats others with courtesy, politeness, and respect. Puts the team’s goals above personal goals and encourages harmony and cooperation when working in a team.
Seeks and respects diverse viewpoints and understands how own work links to work in other departments.
Writing and communicating – Quickly understands information presented in written passages.
Structures documents in a logical way and writes in a clear and succinct manner. Uses correct spelling and grammar in writing and speaks clearly and fluently. Identifies the important information in others’ spoken communication.
Critical Thinking – Arranges information in a certain order according to a set of rules. Pinpoints key information from a large amount of data. Evaluates information and identifies key issues.
Probes information and assumptions to establish facts and makes rational judgments after considering all the available information. Produces workable solutions that meet the demands of the situation.
Dependability and reliability – Complies with organisational policies, procedures and regulations. Completes tasks on time and delivers high quality work. Encourages close attention to quality even at a very detailed level. Organizes work in a methodical way.
Achieving – Enthusiastically tackles demanding goals. Accepts ambitious targets for self and seeks new tasks in order to keep busy. Works independently without the need for constant guidance.
An attractive remuneration package will be offered to the successful candidate, depending on qualifications and experience.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are requested to send their full CV in English, accompanied by a single page cover letter stating the reference number FAU2022_1, no later than the 31/01/2022.
Only applications that fulfil the above criteria will be considered. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence. Please refer to our privacy notice in Privacy Notice Potential Employees.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please contact us at +357 24506122 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org