The Cyprus Marine and Maritime Institute (CMMI) invites applications for the recruitment of qualified applicants for positions of different levels (from Junior to Senior researchers/scientists), in the Marine and Coastal Ecosystems Centre (MarCEC) of CMMI, situated in Cyprus. The employment period is initially a fixed-term contract, with the possibility of renewal.
The Cyprus Marine and Maritime Institute:
The Cyprus Marine and Maritime Institute (CMMI) is a non-profit, research, innovation and technology development organisation established in Cyprus, supported by EU funds via the Teaming program, as well as the Government of Cyprus and established industry stakeholders. The CMMI pulls together expertise from local universities and industry and international partners.
MarCEC’s areas of interest:
MarCEC’s areas of interest include but are not restricted to, marine biology, marine ecology, marine protected areas, biological invasions, vulnerable and priority species and habitats, artificial reefs, coastal and marine monitoring, Environmental Impact Assessments (EIA), Ecosystem-Based Management (EBM), ecological modelling and climate change. Successful candidates will be able to sustain their existing network and grow their profile by utilizing CMMI’s contacts, and links to industry and academia, including local and international Advanced Partners, such as the Marine Institute (Ireland), Bluewise Marine (Ireland), and Southampton Marine and Maritime Institute (UK).
You will be a scientist with the desire and ability to undertake a range of multidisciplinary projects that will support the research, technology and innovation aims of the CMMI. At this early developmental stage of the CMMI, there is a great opportunity to set the direction of the Institute and to capitalise on partnerships with local and international CMMI partners. You will have the opportunity to build on your existing research track record, and you will be supported in developing new skills and interests aligned with CMMI’s projects. You will be able to explore a diverse range of topics and contribute to MarCEC’s growth, as part of CMMI – a young and vibrant organisation aspiring to become a local and global partner of choice.
The successful candidates, depending on the level of expertise and position, will contribute to MarCEC’s projects, assist in the preparation of reports and deliverables, assist in administrative tasks, contribute to research proposals, author scientific reports, conferences, and scientific peer-reviewed articles. Moreover, the successful candidates will contribute to MarCEC’s day-to-day activities and existing team depending on the timeline and the priorities of the centre. The successful candidates are expected to demonstrate skills that apply to one or more of the broad fields mentioned above.
- A degree in one of the following disciplines: Marine biology, marine ecology, marine sciences, or a closely related field.
- Excellent knowledge of the English language (written and verbal).
Preferred qualifications for higher ranking positions:
- PhD degree and/or research/academic experience in a discipline relevant to MarCEC’s scope
- Significant proven record in project participation and research funding.
- Previous managerial experience will be considered an advantage.
- High impact publication record on relevant topics will be considered an advantage.
- Experience in the monitoring of marine and coastal ecosystems will be considered an advantage.
- Good knowledge of the Greek language (written and verbal) will be considered an advantage.
- Strong analytical and integrative thinking.
- Strong organisational and teamwork skills.
- Strong written, oral, graphical, and digital presentation skills.
- Ability to network with governmental, industrial, and other external organisations/stakeholders.
- Ability to work under pressure, delegate, and plan personal workload effectively.
- Ability to solve problems creatively.
An attractive remuneration package will be offered to the successful candidate, depending on qualifications and experience.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are requested to provide the following, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org (Position Reference MarCEC2022_1), no later than the 18th of March 2022:
- A cover letter that specifies the reasons for pursuing a research career at CMMI, the employment availability date, and part-time or full-time availability (1-page maximum)
- A detailed curriculum vitae
- Copy of degree certificates
- Contact details of at least two referees that can provide reference letters
Additionally, for higher raking positions, also provide the following:
- Short description of academic, research, and/or industrial experience (1-page maximum)
- Plans for Research and Innovation at CMMI (1-page maximum)
Accepted levels for application are Junior, Assistant, Associate, Senior Associate and Senior Scientist/Researcher. Only applications that fulfil the above criteria will be considered. All applications will be treated in strict confidence.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Only applications that fulfil the above criteria will be considered. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence. Please refer to our privacy notice in Privacy Notice Potential Employees.