The Cyprus Marine and Maritime Institute (CMMI) invites applications for the recruitment of qualified applicants for positions of different levels (from Junior to Senior Associate researchers/scientists), in the Marine and Coastal Ecosystems Centre (MarCEC) of CMMI, situated in Cyprus. The employment period is a fixed-term contract, with the possibility of renewal.
The Cyprus Marine and Maritime Institute:
The Cyprus Marine and Maritime Institute (CMMI) is a non-profit, research, innovation and technology development organisation established in Cyprus, supported by EU funds via the Teaming program, as well as the Government of Cyprus and established industry stakeholders. The CMMI pulls together expertise from local universities and industry and international partners.
MarCEC’s areas of interest:
MarCEC’s areas of interest include but are not restricted to, marine biology, marine ecology, marine protected areas, biological invasions, vulnerable and priority species and habitats, artificial reefs, coastal and marine monitoring, Environmental Impact Assessments (EIA), Ecosystem-Based Management (EBM), ecological modelling and climate change. Successful candidates will be able to sustain their existing network and grow their profile by utilizing CMMI’s contacts, and links to industry and academia, including local and international Advanced Partners, such as the Marine Institute (Ireland), Bluewise Marine (Ireland), and Southampton Marine and Maritime Institute (UK).
CMMI seeks to recruit a visionary scientist with the desire and ability to undertake a range of multidisciplinary projects that will support the research, technology and innovation aims of the CMMI. At this early developmental stage of the CMMI, there is a great opportunity to set the direction of the Institute and to capitalise on partnerships with local and international CMMI partners. You will have the opportunity to build on your existing research track record, and you will be supported in developing new skills and interests aligned with CMMI’s projects. You will be able to explore a diverse range of topics and contribute to MarCEC’s growth, as part of CMMI – a young and vibrant organisation aspiring to become a local and global partner of choice.
The successful candidate, depending on the level of expertise and position, will contribute to MarCEC’s projects, assist in the preparation of reports and deliverables, assist in administrative tasks, contribute to research proposals, and author scientific reports, conferences, and scientific peer-reviewed articles. Moreover, the successful candidate will contribute to MarCEC’s day-to-day activities and existing team depending on the timeline and the priorities of the centre. Candidates are expected to demonstrate skills that apply to one or more of the broad fields mentioned above.
- A degree in one of the following disciplines: Marine biology, marine ecology, marine sciences, or a closely related field.
- Excellent knowledge of the English language (written and verbal).
- A PhD degree and/or research/academic experience in a discipline relevant to MarCEC’s s scope will be considered a strong advantage.
- A significant proven record in project participation and acquisition of research funding will be considered a strong advantage.
- Experience in project management will be considered a strong advantage.
- High-impact publication records on relevant topics will be considered a strong advantage.
- Experience in the monitoring of marine and coastal ecosystems, with emphasis on rocky ecosystems/sessile organisms, will be considered a strong advantage.
- Experience in the conservation/restoration of marine invertebrates will be considered a strong advantage.
- Experience in scientific diving will be considered a strong advantage.
- Good knowledge of the Greek language (written and verbal) will be considered a strong advantage.
- Strong analytical and integrative thinking.
- Strong organisational and teamwork skills.
- Strong written, oral, graphical, and digital presentation skills.
- Ability to network with governmental, industrial, and other external organisations/stakeholders.
- Ability to work under pressure, delegate, and plan personal workload effectively.
- Ability to solve problems creatively.
Ethics and values – Acts consistently following clear ethics and values. Refuses to compromise ethical standards despite external pressure to do so and maintains confidentiality when appropriate. Honours commitments made to others. Considers community values when making business decisions and works toward making the organisation more environmentally responsible.
Resilience – Remains focused, productive, calm and objective, under pressure. Accepts criticisms without becoming defensive and maintains an optimistic outlook in the face of challenges. Moves on quickly from setbacks or criticism. Adapts rapidly to changing circumstances and demonstrates acceptance of ambiguity in the work environment.
Collaboration – Treats others with courtesy, politeness, and respect. Puts the team’s goals above personal goals and encourages harmony and cooperation when working in a team. Seeks and respects diverse viewpoints and understands how own work links to work in other departments.
Reporting & communicating information – Writes in a style that captures the reader’s interest and attention. Produces writing that others are likely to enjoy reading, avoiding complicated language and jargon. Presents engagingly and adapts communication style to suit the audience. Speaks clearly and fluently.
Analytical Thinking & Researching – Identifies where further information is required to clarify vague or confusing issues. Demonstrates an immediate understanding of newly presented information. Uses a range of sources to collect all the relevant information. Identifies trends and patterns amongst various data sets. Draws conclusions based on logic and fact. Effectively applies appropriate technical skills. Keeps job knowledge up to date.
Planning & Organizing – Sets clearly defined objectives. Plans activities and projects in advance. Converts plans into clear actions. Allocates realistic timescales for activities. Completes tasks within the set deadlines. Plans and acts according to organizational policies, procedures, and regulations. Uses appropriate systems for documenting and storing information
Achieving – Enthusiastically tackles demanding goals. Sets and accepts ambitious targets for self and seeks new tasks to keep busy. Pushes things through until finished. Seeks learning and development opportunities and identifies personal development strategies which assist in attaining career goals.
- Competitive salary based on experience and qualifications
- 13th Salary
- Pension Plan
- Flexible Working Arrangements
- Extensive learning opportunities
- Purpose-driven organisation
- A culture of belonging where everyone feels seen, heard, valued for whom they are and empowered to succeed
How to apply:
Interested candidates are requested to provide the following by email to email@example.com (Position Reference MarCEC2023_1), no later than the 21st of February 2023.
- A cover letter that specifies the reasons for pursuing a research career at CMMI and the employment availability date (1 page maximum).
- A detailed curriculum vitae (1 page maximum).
- Copies of degree and diving certificates.
- Contact details of at least two referees that can provide reference letters.
Only applications that fulfil the above criteria will be considered. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, or sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin or disability. All applications will be treated in strict confidence.
Please refer to our privacy notice in Privacy Notice Potential Employees.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please contact us at +357 24506100 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org