Job reference: Ref#5640
Cyprus Marine & Maritime Institute is seeking to recruit a Research Director, for the Marine Technology division of their organisation in Larnaca. This is a unique opportunity to join a new marine and maritime-focused research organisation and to lead and guide research and technology development in the areas of vessel design, decarbonisation in shipping, vessel performance optimisation, robotics and autonomous systems, data science and AI. We look forward to receiving applications from colleagues/candidates with bold visions in these disciplines as well as the essential skills and experience.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The appointed Research Director of Marine Technology will be responsible for providing the strategic vision and planning and be the operational lead for the Marine Technology division of CMMI. The Research Director will navigate the pathway for this division to attain financial sustainability. More specifically, the Research Director of Marine Technology will:
- Lead, guide and monitor the scientists of the Marine Technology division and undertake world-class research, including collaborative and interdisciplinary research in areas related to the strategic goals of the organisation.
- Develop goals for the teams of the Division and ensure they are met.
- Observe EU and other funding programmes and lead the development of national, EU and other external funding proposals.
- Assist in the establishment of appropriate infrastructure and acquisition of state-of-the-art equipment and technologies, in line with public procurement regulations and processes.
- Ensure the Marine Technology division follows all organisational policies and procedures.
- Lead business development initiatives for the products developed by the Division and make recommendations for the design and development of new products and services.
- Provide insight into product development and competitive positioning.
- Collaborate with other divisions of CMMI to determine the most viable, cost-effective approach to pursue new research and innovative business opportunities.
- Develop mutually beneficial linkages with industry in order to develop partnerships and collaborative research.
- Assist in all administrative tasks requested by management.
- Attend conferences, meetings, and industry events and engage in effective knowledge exchange activities with a broad range of industrial, government and other relevant parties and the public.
- Write and assist in the preparation of high-quality research papers and conference proceedings.
- A University Degree in the fields of Naval Architecture, Robotics, Mechatronics, Marine/Ocean engineering, or a related field linked to the research and technological activities of one or more of the Division’s objectives.
- Minimum 15 years of professional experience in research or relevant industry sector, with a minimum of 10 years of experience in a managerial role or senior responsibilities.
- Ability to develop and coordinate activities in broader fields of research and technological development in new areas.
- Proven experience in managing multidisciplinary scientific departments at a Director level.
- Computer literate.
- Excellent command of the English language.
- Command of written and spoken Greek would be advantageous.
- Strong communication skills (oral and written).
- Organisational and managerial skills.
- Ability to manage complex projects and multi-task.
- Ability to deliver to strict deadlines.
- Focused and goal-oriented.
- A PhD in a relevant field will be considered as a strong advantage.
- Proven ability to develop research and its applications in new areas.
- An extensive and active publications record.
- Proven experience in obtaining funding for programmes would be advantageous.
- 13th Salary.
- Pension Fund.
- Flexible Working Arrangements.
- Staff Events.
- Entrepreneurial Working Environment.
Due to the high volume of applications, we receive at GRS Recruitment, only shortlisted candidates will be responded to.
To apply for this position, please email your CV to Annita Paliou, firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the above job reference or call +357 25 342 720 for further information.