(www.MaritimeCyprus.com) The Panama Canal opened to traffic on 15 August 1914 with passage of the SS Ancon. First conceived in the 1600s, actual construction work was first begun by a French company in 1880. That attempt was defeated primarily by malaria and yellow fever. Work began on the present-day Panama Canal in 1904, success due in large part to wide-scale eradication of the mosquito discovered to carry yellow fever. The first major change to the Canal in 101 years, the Canal Expansion Project to allow for transit by larger vessels, was completed.
France began work on the canal in 1881, but had to stop because of engineering problems and high mortality due to disease. The United States took over the project in 1904, and took a decade to complete the canal, which was officially opened on August 15, 1914. One of the largest and most difficult engineering projects ever undertaken, the Panama Canal shortcut greatly reduced the time for ships to travel between the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, enabling them to avoid the lengthy, hazardous Cape Horn route around the southernmost tip of South America via the Drake Passage or Strait of Magellan. The shorter, faster, and safer route to the U.S. West Coast and to nations in and around the Pacific Ocean allowed those places to become more integrated with the world economy.
Annual traffic has risen from about 1,000 ships in 1914, when the canal opened, to 14,702 vessels in 2008, the latter measuring a total of 309.6 million Panama Canal/Universal Measurement System (PC/UMS) tons. By 2008, more than 815,000 vessels had passed through the canal; the largest ships that can transit the canal today are called Panamax. It takes 6 to 8 hours to pass through the Panama Canal. The American Society of Civil Engineers has named the Panama Canal one of the seven wonders of the modern world. After the Panama Canal expansion, it can accommodate even larger vessels as shown below.
For more Maritime History, click HERE