The kick-off meeting of the LYNCEUS2MARKET project was held on 23-24 June in Limassol, Cyprus. The two-day meeting marked the official launch of the project and its main objective was to confirm the common agenda of the project and to define the first steps of the project implementation.
LYNCEUS2MARKET is a European Union project funded under the Horizon 2020 framework, which aims at delivering product prototypes for timely and effective evacuation of large passenger ships during emergency. It was launched on June 1st, 2015, bringing together 16 partners from 8 European Countries, and will run for 3 years, with a total budget of €10.5 million.
LYNCEUS2MARKET products will be based on the initial technologies developed and tested in lab and in small scale pilots during the Lynceus project, funded under the 7th Framework Program, and awarded by the prestigious Lloyd’s List innovation award in 2014. LYNCEUS2MARKET brings together European global players in the field, such as cruise ship owners, operators, ship builders, maritime equipment manufacturers, a classification society, industry associations and important technology organisations with the aim to implement the first market replication of these technologies and products. The Lynceus2Market will create significant impact by saving passenger lives during maritime accidents.
The products that will be developed under the LYNCEUS2MARKET project include the following:
1) Localisable life jackets that can provide passenger location in real-time during emergency
2) Smart smoke detectors that also act as base stations of an on-board localisation system
3) Innovative localisable bracelets able to send activity data to the emergency management team
4) Low cost fire and flooding escalation monitoring sensor nodes
5) Novel mustering handheld devices for automatic identification and counting of passengers during evacuation
6) Smart localisable cabin key cards
7) Intelligent decision support software able to fuse all localisation, activity and disaster escalation data to provide an integrated real-time visualisation, passenger counting and evacuation decision support system
8) Innovative shore or ship-launched Unmanned Aerial Vehicle for localising people in the sea in short time and assisting search and rescue operations when accident occurs in extreme weather, during the night or in a remote location
9) Low-cost rescue boat mounted radars for people localisation in the vicinity of the boat.
The consortium of the project includes the following organisations:
1) RTD TALOS Ltd. – Cyprus
2) LLOYD’S REGISTER EMEA– United Kingdom
3) RCL CRUISES LTD. – United Kingdom
4) AUTRONICA FIRE AND SECURITY AS – Norway
5) CELESTYAL SHIP MANAGEMENT Ltd. – Cyprus
6) SIGNALGENERIX Ltd. – Cyprus
7) FORO MARITIMO VASCO – Spain
8) MARITIME INSTITUTE OF EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN – MAR.IN.E.M. – Cyprus
9) ASOCIACION DE EMPRESARIOS TEXTILES DE LA REGION VALENCIANA – Spain
10) TECHNISCHE UNIVERSITAET DRESDEN – Germany
11) SAFE MARINE SRL – Italy
12) CSEM CENTRE SUISSE D’ELECTRONIQUE ET DE MICROTECHNIQUE SA – RECHERCHE ET DEVELOPPEMENT – Switzerland
13) G.G. DEDALOS TECHNOLOGY SERVICES Ltd. – Cyprus
14) I. PANARETOU – CHAR. KOSTOPOULOS OE – Greece
15) CANEPA & CAMPI SRL – Italy
16) MINISTRY OF COMMUNICATIONS AND WORKS OF REPUBLIC OF CYPRUS – Cyprus
Acknowledgement: The LYNCEUS2MARKET project receives funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under Grant Agreement No. 636286.
Relevant articles about the Lynceus project: