The Cyprus Marine and Maritime Institute (CMMI) invites applications for the recruitment by CMMI of applicants for the Naval Architect or/and Marine Engineer position in the Marine and Offshore Science, Technology and Engineering Centre (MOSTEC) of CMMI, situated in Cyprus. The employment period will be for a one-year fixed-term contract, with the possibility of renewal.
The Cyprus Marine and Maritime Institute:
The Cyprus Marine and Maritime Institute (CMMI) is a non-profit, research, innovation and technology development organisation established in Cyprus, supported by EU funds via the Teaming program, as well as the Government of Cyprus and established industry stakeholders. The CMMI pulls together expertise from local universities, industry, and international partners.
MOSTEC’s key areas of interest:
MOSTEC’s areas of interest include but are not restricted to, vessel design and operations, vessel performance optimisation, autonomous vessel design, maritime electrification, offshore platforms for renewable energy production, climate change, and decarbonisation of the shipping industry (including alternative maritime fuels and carbon capture).
Successful candidates will be able to sustain their existing network and grow their profile by utilising CMMI’s contacts, and links to industry and academia, including our international Advanced Partners, the University of Southampton’s SMMI, and the Marine Institute (Ireland) and Bluewise Marine (Ireland).
We seek energising candidates willing to work in a shipping environment including onboard vessels and within shipyards and ports and actively interact and engage with respective multinational personnel.
Successful candidates will contribute to CMMI’s self-funded projects, EU/RIF-funded projects, its educational and training activities, and the provision of services to industry and government organisations.
Projects include designing, manufacturing and operating small and oceangoing vessels, marine robotic systems, buoys, offshore platforms, moorings, development of digital twins (including small vessels and marine systems), risk assessment and the human element in these sectors.
You will have the opportunity to build on your existing research track record and be supported in developing new skills and interests aligned with CMMI’s projects. You will also be able to explore a diverse range of topics and contribute to CMMI’s growth – a young and vibrant organisation.
- A BSc in Naval Architecture or/and Marine Engineering or any other relevant discipline (such as Mechanical, Ocean and Offshore Engineering)
- PhD in Naval Architecture or/and Marine Engineering or any other relevant discipline (such as Mechanical, Ocean and Offshore Engineering) OR 4 years of relevant experience
- Experience in the use of commercial software tools for vessel and offshore platform design purposes (indicative list: AutoCAD, Autodesk Inventor 3D, CATIA, DELFTship, MaxSurf, Rhinoceros 3D, SOLIDWORKS)
- Excellent knowledge of the English language (written and verbal)
- Strong analytical and integrative thinking
- Strong organisational and teamwork skills
- Strong written, oral, graphical, and digital presentation skills
- Ability to work under pressure, delegate and plan personal workload effectively
- Ability to solve problems creatively
- Competitive salary based on experience and qualifications
- 13th Salary
- Pension Plan
- Flexible Working Arrangements
- Extensive learning opportunities
- Purpose-driven organisation
- A culture of belonging where everyone feels seen, heard, valued for whom they are and empowered to succeed
How to apply:
Applications will be evaluated immediately on a rolling basis. Only the most qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview, and the position will be filled as soon as a suitable candidate is found.
To apply, please submit:
- A cover letter that specifies the reasons for pursuing a career at CMMI and the employment availability date including a short description of professional (academic and/or research and/or industrial) experience
- A detailed curriculum vitae
- Copies of degree certificates
- Contact details of at least two referees that can provide reference letters
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, or sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, or any other characteristic. All applications will be treated in strict confidence.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.