(www.MaritimeCyprus.com) The US National Transportation Safety Board released the Safer Seas Digest 2021, a compendium of the NTSB’s maritime accident investigations involving loss of life, injuries and significant property damage completed in 2022.
Pausing to reflect on a year’s worth of investigations presents a unique opportunity to consider the meta-issues threatening safety. In 2022, these issues included the following:
- Containing Engine Room Fires
- Fire Prevention
- Importance of Personal Locator Technology
- Vessel Stability
- Proper Installation, Operation, and Maintenance of Electrical Equipment
- Sound Navigation Practice–Avoiding
- Overreliance on a Single Data Source
- Response to Loss of Steering and Propulsion
- Effective Communication
- Mooring System Arrangements
- Engine Repairs
- Hull Condition
The NTSB’s Office of Marine Safety investigates major marine causalities upon the navigable waters of the U.S. and accidents involving U.S. flagged vessels worldwide.
For more details, click on the below image to download the full report: