Operating around the clock and around the world, V.Group gives every client the quality and efficiency they need in every sector. Covering crew management and recruitment, quality ship management and technical services, together with supporting management and commercial services, V.Group has an unrivalled industry knowledge with performance assured. Our values, We Care, We Collaborate, We Challenge, We are Consistent, We Commit and Deliver, are at the heart of everything we do and they support our strategy of Investing in Talent. We are always interested in making contact with talented individuals - people who will demonstrate our values and deliver great service, for internal and external stakeholders.
Overall Purpose of The Job
Responsible for the efficient operation of the ships to which they have been assigned and to work as a member of the Ship Management Team operating to Company procedures and best ship management practices whilst giving absolute regard to safety of life at sea and protection of the environment at all times.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks
1. Plan, control and execute all activities connected with maintenance, repairs, dry-docking, conversion or modification of assigned vessels. COP 5.3 / 5.4 / 5.5
2. Plan, control and execute all activities connected to class and flag state survey and certificate requirements and build and maintain effective liaison with relevant authorities. COP 5.9.5
3. Formulate a dynamic work plan and action list with the Ships’ Command to ensure that the vessel is maintained in accordance with Client requirements. Provide regular reports to all interested parties as to progress of works. COP 5.4 / 5.9 & COP 1.7.3
4. Responsible for PMS, to ensure that the job descriptions and maintenance intervals assigned to all machineries is as per makers manual, and that repairs history / spares consumed are correctly recorded in Shipsure for future reference & insurance claims / audits. Monitoring and ensuring vessels performance in accordance with charter party requirement.
5. Work cooperatively with relevant members of the Fleet Cell to co-ordinate all information required for the preparation of the vessels’ running cost budget. Maintain strict control of all aspects of vessel expenditure, ensure vessel expenditure is accrued to vessel accounts, and take appropriate action to bring costs to budget level. Any potential unbudgeted expenditure must be flagged to the Fleet Manager without delay. COP 5.2 / 5.11
6. Monitor vessel performance trends including speed, fuel and lubricating oil consumptions, and implement timely remedial actions where these are outside agreed or expected parameters. COP 5.1
7. In discussion and agreement with the Fleet Manager, prepare a ‘visitation plan’ to gain thorough familiarization of assigned Vessels, equipment, operating parameters & challenges, whilst also ensuring reports are issued detailing vessels general condition, repairs and maintenance, crew performance, safety, environmental protection, remedial actions required. Discuss with Ships’ Command the work plan, running costs, spares and stores situation and other issues of concern and report on same. COP 5.10
8. To serve as the first contact point for the assigned vessels and liaise with Clients on day to day operations of assigned vessels. (unless otherwise specified).
9. Provide timely and accurate reports to Clients regarding the management, expenditure and condition of the vessel as per the Management Agreement. COP 1.7.3 / 5.1.6
Revised Dec 2016
10. Authorise without delay all undisputed vessel orders for stores, spares, repairs and survey within financial limit of authority. Take appropriate action to ensure the vessel remains adequately stocked for safe and efficient operation and obtain the Client's approval for any unbudgeted expenditure. COP 6.1
11. In conjunction with the Shipboard team & the MSQ Superintendent prepare vessels for inspection/audit by PSC, Flag, Oil Major and similar bodies. Deficiencies which can have adverse effect on commercial operation of the ship should be promptly reported to line manager. Follow up deficiencies arising out of the preparation and inspection until final closure. COP 5.5
12. Control and monitor the risk for assigned vessels and to act as a member of the risk assessment team for shipboard procedures and operations when called upon to do so. COP 2.1.10 / SEP 6
13. Ensure that Management team is immediately advised of any incident or untoward happening likely to affect the performance of the vessel. Liaise with the insurance manager / department on the participation and submission to the adjusters of all data relative to claims with underwriters or P&I clubs. COP 2.2.7 / COP 126.96.36.199 / 9.1.2 / 9.3
14. Authorise selection process of Senior Officers for assigned Vessels.
15. When Senior Officers visit the office prior to joining a vessel ensure they are briefed as appropriate, on VMS, fleet requirements, vessel work plan etc. Ensure they have an understanding of the V.Ships ‘Performance Assured’ vision and are clear about the standards of performance expected and support available from the Fleet Cell & Support Teams ashore. COP 7.12
16. Build and maintain a professional and effective working relationship with Senior ships staff. VCP 2.6
17. Conduct Senior Officer Performance Appraisals in accordance with VMS procedures and as play an active role in their career development. COP 7.15 / 5.10
- Recognised Engineering or Naval Architecture qualification and/or relevant experience at sea.
- Good communication (oral and written) and English language skills,
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to engage and interact with people at all levels.
- Good planning and organisational skills,
- An ability to develop creative and effective solutions to problems
- Previous experience as a Fleet Superintendent in a Technical Department, or previous experience in a Senior Engineering/Naval Architecture position in the Marine Industry.
- Member of IMarEST and Engineering Council registration or other equivalent recognised professional registration
- Basic financial understanding and some experience in administering budgets.
What can I expect in return?
V. Group can offer you a market leading salary and benefits package, in addition to significant opportunities for career growth and personal development. This a great opportunity to join a true leader in the maritime sector - a company that has exciting plans for future growth.
Applications Close Date: 04 Jun 2021