The Cyprus Marine and Maritime Institute (CMMI) is currently seeking applications for scientific positions in CMMI’s Marine Biotechnology and Aquaculture Centre (MBAC), located in Cyprus. These positions initially offer fixed-term contracts with the possibility of renewal.
The Cyprus Marine and Maritime Institute:
CMMI is a non-profit research, innovation, and technology development organisation established in Cyprus. It is supported by EU funds through the Teaming program, along with the Government of Cyprus and established industry stakeholders. CMMI brings together expertise from local universities, industry, and international partners.
Areas of Interest at MBAC:
MBAC focuses on various areas of interest, including aquaculture with a focus on innovative feeding methods, reproductive physiology, and applications of Integrated Multitrophic Aquaculture (IMTA). Additionally, it covers marine biotechnology and novel methods for monitoring the marine environment. Successful candidates will have the opportunity to leverage CMMI’s vast network and industry and academia links, including collaborations with international Advanced Partners such as the University of Southampton’s SMMI, the Marine Institute (Ireland), and Bluewise Marine (Ireland).
We are looking for enthusiastic candidates willing to engage in activities related to the aquaculture sector, marine biotechnology applications, and novel methodologies for monitoring marine and coastal ecosystems.
Based on their expertise and level of position, successful candidates will contribute to various CMMI projects, self-funded initiatives, EU/RIF-funded projects, educational and training activities, and provide services to industry and governmental organisations. They will also play a part in developing necessary facilities and critical infrastructure for the centre, assist with administrative tasks, and contribute to the preparation of research proposals.
Candidates will have the chance to build upon their existing research track record and receive support in developing new skills and interests that align with CMMI’s projects. They will have the opportunity to explore diverse topics and contribute to the growth of CMMI, a young and vibrant organisation.
- MSc in one of the following principles: environmental biology, marine biotechnology, marine biology, marine sciences, life sciences, chemistry, or a closely related field
- Skills and expertise relevant to the centre’s scope (including but not limited to aquaculture, marine biotechnology and marine monitoring)
- PhD in Aquaculture; Marine Biotechnology; Marine and Coastal Monitoring; or in a closely related field or 4 years of relevant experience in marine biotechnology applications; and novel methods for monitoring marine and coastal ecosystems or in a closely related field of MBAC’s research interests
- High-impact publication record on relevant topics
- Experience in project management
- Good knowledge of the Greek language (written and verbal)
- Strong analytical and integrative thinking abilities
- Excellent organisational and teamwork skills
- Proficient in written, oral, graphical, and digital presentations
- Ability to work under pressure, delegate, and effectively plan personal workload
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Competitive salary based on experience and qualifications
- 13th Salary
- Pension Plan
- Flexible Working Arrangements
- Extensive learning opportunities
- Purpose-driven organisation
A culture of belonging where everyone feels seen, heard, valued for whom they are and empowered to succeed
How to apply:
Interested candidates are requested to provide the following, no later than the 1st of September 2023.
To apply, please submit:
- A cover letter that specifies the reasons for pursuing a career at CMMI and the employment availability date including a short description of professional (academic and/or research and/or industrial) experience
- A detailed curriculum vitae
- Copies of degree certificates
- Contact details of at least two referees that can provide reference letters
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, or sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, or any other characteristic. All applications will be treated in strict confidence.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.