The Cyprus Marine and Maritime Institute (CMMI) invites applications for the recruitment of a qualified applicant in the Marine Observation Centre (MOC) of CMMI. The employment period will be for a one-year fixed-term contract, with the possibility of renewal.
The Cyprus Marine and Maritime Institute:
The Cyprus Marine and Maritime Institute (CMMI) is a non-profit, research, innovation and technology development organisation established in Cyprus, supported by EU funds via the Teaming program, as well as the Government of Cyprus and established industry stakeholders. The CMMI pulls together expertise from local universities and industry and international partners.
MOC’s areas of interest:
MOC’s areas of interest include project management, oceanography, ocean observations, remote sensing, marine technologies, marine/coastal field surveys, data engineering, metocean data analysis, data assimilation, and climate change. Successful candidates will be able to sustain their existing network and grow their profile by utilising CMMI’s contacts, and links to industry and academia, including our local and international Advanced Partners, such as the Marine Institute (Ireland), BlueWise Marine (Ireland), and Southampton Marine and Maritime Institute (UK).
We seek to recruit visionary researchers with the desire and ability to undertake a range of multidisciplinary projects that will support the CMMI’s research, technology and innovation aim. At this early developmental stage of the CMMI, there is a great opportunity to set the direction of the Institute and to capitalise on partnerships with local and international CMMI partners. You will have the opportunity to build on your existing research track record, and you will be supported in developing new skills and interests aligned with CMMI’s projects. You will be able to explore a diverse range of topics and contribute to MOC’s growth, as part of CMMI – a young and vibrant organisation aspiring to become a local and global partner of choice.
The successful candidates, depending on the level of expertise and position, will contribute to MOC’s projects, assist in preparing reports and deliverables, participate in organisational and administrative tasks, contribute to research proposals, and author scientific reports and peer-reviewed articles. Moreover, the successful candidates will contribute to MOC’s development of hardware and software infrastructure according to timelines and priorities. Furthermore, the candidates will analyse metocean data and also conduct fieldwork and underwater inspections for the maintenance and calibration of the oceanographic sensors. The successful candidates are expected to have skills in the fields of Oceanography and Engineering.
- A BSc or MSc or PhD in Physical Oceanography, Chemical Oceanography, Marine Engineering, or a related discipline.
- Excellent knowledge of the English language (written and verbal).
- Previous experience in processing oceanographic data (experience in marine observation data management or data acquisition systems will be considered an advantage).
- Previous experience in Python, R, MATLAB, or geospatial tools (ArcGIS Pro or QGIS).
- Diving qualifications (scientific diving skills will be considered an advantage).
- Significant proven record in project participation and successful research grant applications will be considered an advantage (a requirement for candidates with PhD).
- Previous experience in calibrating and operating remote sensors will be considered a strong advantage.
- Previous experience in conducting fieldwork and samplings will be considered an advantage.
- Strong analytical and integrative thinking.
- Strong organisational and teamwork skills.
- Strong written, oral, graphical, and digital presentation skills.
- Ability to network with governmental, industrial, and other external organisations/stakeholders.
- Ability to work under pressure, delegate, and plan personal workload effectively.
- Ability to solve problems creatively.
- Competitive salary based on experience and qualifications
- 13th Salary
- Pension Plan
- Flexible Working Hours
- Hybrid Working Model (2 days from home; 3 days from the office)
- “Dress for your Day”
- 21 days of Annual Leave
- Offering additional days off
- Extensive learning opportunities
- Purpose-driven organisation
- A culture of belonging where everyone feels seen, heard, valued for who they are and empowered to succeed
How to apply:
Interested candidates are requested to provide the following, no later than the 20th of December 2023.
To apply please submit:
- A cover letter that specifies the reasons for pursuing a research career at CMMI, the employment availability date, and part-time or full-time availability (1-page maximum).
- A detailed curriculum vitae.
- Copy of degree certificates.
- Contact details of at least two referees who can provide reference letters.
- Short description of academic, research, and/or industrial experience (1-page maximum).
Only applications that fulfil the above criteria will be considered. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, or sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, or any other characteristic. All applications will be treated in strict confidence.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please contact us at +357 24506122 or by email at email@example.com